Wilson shreds New York in Seattle’s 17-point win

Despite an inefficient run game, the Seattle Seahawks (4-2) were able to beat the New York Giants (1-6) with their passing game on Sunday afternoon.

The game would be put away when quarterback Russell Wilson found Jimmy Graham on a fade route to give the Seahawks a 23-7 lead, kicker Blair Walsh would hit the point after to make it 24-7. Seattle chewed up nearly six minutes of clock during the touchdown drive to leave Eli Manning with no time to engineer a miracle comeback.

Seattle would score its second touchdown of the game on some trickeration when JD McKissic took the and off before throwing the ball back to Wilson; the quarterback than threw a perfect pass to Paul Richardson. Richardson would wrestle with the defender for possession after he didn’t cleanly pull in the catch to give the Hawks a 17-7 lead with just under ten minutes left in the game.

After a ten play drive, that was hampered by offensive penalties, Giants’ kicker Aldrick Rosas missed a 47-yard field goal that would have tied the game early in the fourth quarter. New York’s offense marched into field goal range behind the strength of its short passing game. For example, Manning found Wayne Gallman for a quick pass then he turned up field for 25-yards and the first down.

Baldwin scored Seattle’s first touchdown when Wilson hit him with a beautiful touch pass on a seem rout. The touchdown came after Mark Glowinski was called for unnecessary roughness to back the Hawks up to the 20 yard line on the second and goal play; but Seattle scored on the very next snap.  Midway through the third quarter, the Seahawks were up 10-7.

DJ Alexander would block the Giants punt after their first drive of the second half; which gave Seattle great field position at midfield. But the Hawks wouldn’t be able to take advantage of it and they went three and out.

Seattle looked like they had tied the game when Wilson hit Lockett in the end zone on a beautifully thrown post route; but it was called back when the wide receiver was flagged for offensive pass interference for grabbing the defenders shoulder. On third and 20, the Hawks would run a running back screen to JD McKissic that gained 16-yards…but it wasn’t enough for the first down. Walsh would drill the 39-yard field goal to cut the Giants lead to four.

New York wouldn’t be able to move the ball on its ensuing possession and the Giants would go to the locker room with a 7-3 lead at halftime.

Manning would hit Evan Engram on an out route for a five-yard touchdown pass to give New York a 7-0 lead. The touchdown came as a result of a Rawls fumble that occurred at the end of a five yard run.

Rawls would be stuffed on third and goal at the one yard line, it was the Seahawks fifth play inside New York’s ten yard line. Seattle would go for it on fourth down at the start of the second quarter, but Graham would drop a pass that hit him in the hands before it fell to to the ground; the dropped pass brought an end to Seattle’s 16-play drive that chewed up nearly nine minutes of game clock before turning the ball over to New York.

The Giants would be forced to punt on the ensuing possession to give Seattle the ball on its 41-yard line.

New York’s first drive of the game was extended when McEvoy would run into punter Ed Eagan to hand the Giants an automatic first down. Seattle’s defense would buckle down when Richard Sherman would swat away a deep pass from Eli Manning on third town to force the punt. It was one of the best defensive plays the veteran cornerback made this season.

The Seahawks first drive showed promise as they quickly picked up a first down with a seven yard run by Rawls and a nine-yard reception by Lacey. But the drive would stall out two plays later when Germain Ifedi would get flagged for a false start; Wilson would then get sacked for a loss of 13 yards on third down.

[twitter-follow screen_name=’sportswithneil’] [twitter-follow screen_name=’nvr93′]