Graham catches game winning touchdown to secure victory over Houston

Jimmy Graham would catch a perfectly thrown seem route from quarterback Russell Wilson to give Seattle (5-2) a 41-38 lead over the Houston Texans (3-4) with :21 seconds to give the Seahawks a come from behind win.

Richard Sherman would intercept quarterback DeShaun Watson on Houston’s ensuing possession to secure the victory.

Houston would retake the lead when a DeAndre Hopkins blew the lid off of a screen pass and took it 72-yards to the barn. Hopkins long run was made possible by great blocking up front and his top end speed that allowed the veteran receiver to run past the defenders. The touchdown gave the Texans a 38-34 lead.

On Seattle’s ensuing drive, quarterback Wilson would be picked off by cornerback Marcus Williams. The veteran quarterback didn’t see the defensive back as he attempted to hit Paul Richardson on a curl route near the side lines. Seattle’s quarterback had extended the drive with his legs multiple times on the drive prior to the interception. It was a terribly timed interception because it gave Houston a chance to run out the clock with a four-point lead.

Fortunately for the Hawks, the Texans only picked up only one first down and only burned about a minute off of the clock before punting the ball.

Graham would catch his first touchdown pass of the game to give Seattle a 34-31 lead after a series of penalties by both teams melted a bunch of time off the clock. Before the touchdown there was a pair of pass interference penalties by Houston and a chop block on Thomas Rawls. Seattle’s drive was extended by a beautiful pass from Wilson to Tyler Lockett that the wideout caught despite blatant pass interference.

The rookie quarterback would make up for his second interception with a couple of crisp passes to Will Fuller (a 36-yarder) and Lamar Miller (a two-yard touchdown catch) to give Houston a 31-27 lead. Seattle’s defense made several key mistakes on those two plays that allowed both passes to be complete. On Fuller’s catch, rookie Shaq Griffin turned the wrong way and got burned as a result; while Seattle had two chances at sacking Watson, but the rookie was able to escape because of bad tackling before tossing the rock to Miller.

Watson would give the Seahawks another red zone opportunity when he attempted to hit his tight end on a crossing route, but Richard Sherman jumped the route to pick off the pass; Sherman returned the ball to the Texans eight-yard line. Unfortunately, a couple of dropped passes – including one by a wide-open Thomas Rawls – prevented Seattle from taking a seven-point lead over the Texans. Instead Seattle ran Walsh out for another 21-yard field goal attempt, which the veteran kicker nailed.

Walsh would hit a 21-yard field goal for the fourth tie of the game after Seattle had failed to convert on third and one from the Texan’s three-yard line. Seattle had marched into the red zone after a 66-yard catch and run by Madden on a beautifully run seam route by the fullback. But a couple of conservative play calls on first and second down proved costly in the red zone.

After a slow start to the second half, the Texans would strike first Fairbairn would nail a 31-yard field goal at the end of a 10 play drive that saw them pick apart Seattle’s secondary with 10-13 yard passes.

Both teams would swap punts after the Seahawks tied it at 14, but Watson and the Texans would break the stalemate when he’d find Fuller (again) on a deep pass to give Houston a 21-14 lead. It was a perfect pass towards the right side of the field when Fuller was in one-on-one coverage to the rookie’s right side. Houston had struggled to move the ball unless they took deep shots down field.

The Texans’ lead would not last very long as the Seahawks would move the ball 75-yards into the end zone on six plays. Seattle’s biggest play on the drive was a 53-yard pass to Tanner McEvoy to Houston’s seven-yard line that involved a circus catch by the wide receiver. On the next play, Wilson would hit Richardson on an out route to tie the game at 21; Richardson’s touchdown catch was the last score of the first half.

As was the case throughout the first half, Houston’s one possession lead wouldn’t last very long as the Hawks would quickly march 75-yards down field on eight plays to tie the game at 14. Seattle’s biggest break of the half came when Clowney stripped Wilson, but the ball shot forward because it bounced off the quarterback’s arm and Willson recovered it beyond the first down marker; initially the play had been ruled an incomplete pass by Carroll correctly challenged the play.

Watson would respond to his first interception of the game by guiding an efficient drive down field towards the end zone that was capped off with a three-yard touchdown run by Miller. The rookie was dominant on the drive as he completed six of seven passes on the drive to march the Texans down field before Miller capped it off with the three-yard scamper outside.

Seattle’s first score of the game came when Thomas read the eyes of Watson and beat the wideout to the ball. The veteran safety would get some key blocks to get past the original line of scrimmage to spring him free on the way to the end zone. His touchdown tied the game at seven a piece.

Houston would crack the game open when Watson would find Fuller wide open off a play action pass for the 59-yard touchdown. The Texans had set up the play action by steadily feeding their running back on the drive, even though they hadn’t been able to move the ball on the ground that well.

[twitter-follow screen_name=’sportswithneil’] [twitter-follow screen_name=’nvr93′]